Inactive RAM?

Guest morfic

Guest morfic

After verifying the loop mount fix brought my Quadrant score up, I checked system info, Quadrant reports also "inactive ram"

Is that the ram the phone uses for other things? The ~170mb would complete my 333mb to the 512 mb it should have.

If it's used for something else, I would not consider it inactive, that's why I wonder...

Guest DistortedLoop
After verifying the loop mount fix brought my Quadrant score up, I checked system info, Quadrant reports also "inactive ram"

Is that the ram the phone uses for other things? The ~170mb would complete my 333mb to the 512 mb it should have.

If it's used for something else, I would not consider it inactive, that's why I wonder...

On my phone Quadrant's reporting:

333412kB Total

56668kB Free

134860kB Inactive

So it's not consistent across our two phones, it's actually not even consistent between checking, LOL.

Is that the himem area?

On the Nexus One a lot of the roms enable that for use as regular ram.

But also, whenever someone complains that they don't have 512mb free memory on the other phones, they're quickly reminded that the OS needs memory for itself and that's the difference. I suspect the latter, since later versions of Android kernel are supposed to enable himem use.

Guest Andrew Luecke

Inactive most likely refers to ram which has recently been used by an application (but no longer needed), and is still being tracked. It is basically free ram, and will get freed up as it is needed, but the benefits of doing it this way, is that Applications can be restarted quicker sometimes (think of it maybe as a cache). It's cheap for the OS to free the memory, so prematurely releasing it does very little except give the shiny satisfaction that your free memory is better. Inactive RAM may also contain cache (but not sure what exactly it's referring to).

RAM is poorly understood on computers too actually. There was a report recently which claimed that windows 7 was using up all available ram and there was swapping. What the guy at the company didn't understand was that a lot of it was cache which was freed as needed.

More info is at: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20006694-263.html

In a nutshell though, free RAM is wasted ram. The important statistic is active RAM/Total RAM available.. Too many wars have been fought over misunderstanding of RAM usage...

Guest morfic
Inactive most likely refers to ram which has recently been used by an application (but no longer needed), and is still being tracked. It is basically free ram, and will get freed up as it is needed, but the benefits of doing it this way, is that Applications can be restarted quicker sometimes (think of it maybe as a cache). It's cheap for the OS to free the memory, so prematurely releasing it does very little except give the shiny satisfaction that your free memory is better. Inactive RAM may also contain cache (but not sure what exactly it's referring to).

RAM is poorly understood on computers too actually. There was a report recently which claimed that windows 7 was using up all available ram and there was swapping. What the guy at the company didn't understand was that a lot of it was cache which was freed as needed.

More info is at: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20006694-263.html

In a nutshell though, free RAM is wasted ram. The important statistic is active RAM/Total RAM available.. Too many wars have been fought over misunderstanding of RAM usage...

Can't be, as Linux only sees 333MB, and including inactive ram, it would add up to more than 333MB

Guest Andrew Luecke
Can't be, as Linux only sees 333MB, and including inactive ram, it would add up to more than 333MB

333412kB Total

56668kB Free

134860kB Inactive

My thoughts are that assumption is that active probably equals 333412kB - 56668kB - 134860kB =141884 active in used live processes (141MB)

Basically, a good configuration ensures that there is enough free memory available when it is needed, but since inactive ram can speed up relaunches of applications (or shared library reuse) so you don't want to dump all inactive memory instantly.

It would be interesting though to find out exactly what functionality on the Android phones is using the extra RAM. Everyone reckons radio, but that may be because of the first few google hits. Samsung have probably configured it though to show RAM which is actually accessible to the OS. Don't worry about the missing RAM too much.

Anyway, that's just my guess..

Guest DistortedLoop

Do we have himem enabled in eclair on the SGS?

Anyone with one of the FroYo builds able to report their numbers for comparison?

333412kB Total

56668kB Free

134860kB Inactive

My thoughts are that assumption is that active probably equals 333412kB - 56668kB - 134860kB =141884 active in used live processes (141MB)

Basically, a good configuration ensures that there is enough free memory available when it is needed, but since inactive ram can speed up relaunches of applications (or shared library reuse) so you don't want to dump all inactive memory instantly.

It would be interesting though to find out exactly what functionality on the Android phones is using the extra RAM. Everyone reckons radio, but that may be because of the first few google hits. Samsung have probably configured it though to show RAM which is actually accessible to the OS. Don't worry about the missing RAM too much.

Anyway, that's just my guess..

Guest Andrew Luecke
Do we have himem enabled in eclair on the SGS?

Anyone with one of the FroYo builds able to report their numbers for comparison?

Samsung appears to be merging some stuff previously seen only in the Samsung Froyo builds into late Eclair builds. I recall seeing a max of 330MB Total RAM in Froyo too (same as JM5), whereas in JG, I recall seeing only 256 (pre-himem).

But not sure how to confirm my guess..

Guest morfic
who said that froyo would see all the packed ram, .. ah well, maybe i hoped to much! =/

I asked on the JP3 thread, the answer i got was 312MB, i do not want to give up 21MB! ;)

512-312==200mb i don't know where they went, mt3g is 32mb radio, 64mb framebuffer 96mb vs 200mb

Liquid has 256MB and 166MB for android (the rom i last had, not sure about the released roms or liquidE roms) that's also about 90Mb and it had a decent 3d score from what i remember (and i never ran quadrant on it)

Since i still see os killing apps, i do tend to be a ram "worrier" (yes, i meant to spell it this way :D

"Inactive RAM" sounds odd is what i mean, say xxx MB Buffers/Caches.

I mean i want as much ram as i can and i want the OS to use it all, but i also want it to give up them caches/buffers before it kills my apps to keep the caches/buffers.

Considering i now have 2x the ram (available to the OS), and do not use more apps, i wish i didn't see apps restart. (And i keep all the bloat i don't use from starting, removed some, disabled some others) That's all. And based on all the "Nexus has this much ram now, but it will have more with the next rom" that i only half payed attention to back then :D